GENERAL TRAINING READING TEST
Difference between GT and Academic Reading ??
Let’s get started !
|60 minutes||40 Questions||3|
Section 1 : A short text about everyday life in an English-speaking country is used to assess your social survival skills in section 1. These might be notices, advertisements, or timetables.
Section 2 and 3: Examines your workplace survival skills, based on job descriptions, contracts, training manuals, and pay and condition documents.
Section 3 : It contains a longer, more complex text on a topic of general interest. Texts can be derived from newspapers, magazines, or books.
10 IELTS General Training READING PRACTICE TEST PDF
Instructions to candidates
In the actual test you will be given the following instructions:
- do not open this question paper until you are told to do so
- write your name and candidate number in the spaces at the top of the page
- read the instructions for each part of the paper carefully
- answer all the questions
- write your answers on the answer sheet; use a pencil
- you must complete the answer sheet within the time limit
At the end of the test you will be asked to hand in both the question paper and your answer sheet.
Types of questions in IELTS General Training Reading Practice Test PDF
There are 14 IELTS Reading question types that are usually asked in the GT Reading test. You will find these question types in the IELTS General Training Reading Practice Test PDF.
- IELTS General Reading Matching Headings – The heading will be the main idea of the paragraph in the passage. In this question type, you will see a list of headings and will have to match the heading to the correct paragraphs.
- IELTS General Reading Summary Completion – In this question type, you will get a summary of a section from the passage and you should complete it with information taken from the passage. The summary will be only from one part of the passage.
- IELTS General Reading Locating Information – In this question type, you have to locate information within the lettered paragraphs of the passage, and have to match the letters of the correct paragraphs to the right information.
- IELTS General Reading True/False/Not Given – You will get few statements and will be asked: “Do the following statements agree with the information in the passage?”. Answer the questions with “True”, “False” or “Not given” in the boxes.
- IELTS General Reading Multiple Choice Questions – In this question type you have to select the right answer from a list of choices. You will be given either 4, 5 or 7 choices.
- IELTS General Reading Sentence Completion – In this type of question, you will get complete sentences from the passage. Read the instructions to understand how many words or numbers you can use in the answer.
- IELTS General Reading Short Answer Questions – Here, you should answer the question with a short answer. You will answer the questions with the information from the passage.
- IELTS General Reading Diagram Labelling – Fill the labels on the diagram, which relates to the information contained in the text.
- IELTS General Reading Flowchart Completion – In this question type, you will get flowchart with information from the passage. You should complete the blanks in the questions with the information from the passage.
- IELTS General Reading Note Completion – Here, you will get questions in the form of short notes from the passage. You should complete the questions with information from the passage.
- IELTS General Reading Yes/No/Not Given – A set of statements will be given. You have to identify the writer’s view from the passage, and answer the question: ‘Do the following statements agree with the views of the writer?’. You should select ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or ‘Not given’.
- IELTS General Reading Matching Features – You have to match a set of statements or a piece of information to a list of options. The options are given as a set of features from the passage and identified by letters.
|Point Score||Band Score|
|37 – 38||8|
|34 – 35||7|
|32 – 33||6.5|
|30 – 31||6|
|27 – 29||5.5|
|23 – 26||5|
|19 – 22||4.5|
|15 – 18||4|
|12 – 14||3.5|
|9 – 11||3|
|Point Score||Band Score|
|39 – 40||9|
|37 – 38||8.5|
|35 – 36||8|
|33 – 34||7.5|
|30 – 32||7|
|27 – 29||6.5|
|23 – 26||6|
|19 – 22||5.5|
|15 – 18||5|
|13 – 14||4.5|
|10 – 12||4|
|8 – 9||3.5|
|6 – 7||3|